Sunday, January 9, 2011

Popol Vuh: the Dawn of Life

In the first five chapters of "Popol Vuh: the Dawn of Life," the creation of humans was an obstacle for the Gods to encounter.  The stories of their failed attempts of mastering a human that would remember and adore the Gods, was very interesting in comparison to other stories I have heard about the creation of humans because they used so many different resources to make human beings.  This text is great for individuals who are concerned with how humans were created and the different stories there are involving our creation.  My favorite part of the text would have to be when the Gods decided to kill off the wooden humans because of the extreme measures that were taken in order to do so.  “The one called Xecotcovach came and gouged out their eyes; Camalotz came and cut off their heads; Cotzbalam came and devoured their flesh.  Tucumbalm came, too, and broke and mangled their bones and their nerves, and grounded and crumbled their bones.”  I did enjoy the reading because it did humor me a bit.  I did like how they showed that the Gods did fail at times but kept working to create the human of their desires. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice background. I see this view often through my ski goggles when the weather warms up, so it is quite familiar. Anyway, I think you make a good point about how these stories are actually funny because they are so exaggerated. I think the whole idea of one's pots and pans taking vengeance on one for impiety is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete